Monday, 11 January 2016

Q7-Evaluation

Q.7) Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

I feel I have made a huge improvement from when I made the preliminary to my final film opening sequence, not only that but also from the very first lesson and task. From task one, I feel I've gained a solid understanding of the common codes and conventions found in opening sequences and since then I have developed this by watching and analysing other openings, even sub-consciously when sat watching a film, and feel confident in knowing what a opening sequence would be made up of. I have also developed by knowledge of film producers and distributors since task four, as when creating my own opening sequence I did my own research as to who I wanted distributing it. My previous knowledge came in handy but by looking at them from the angle of who would work best with my own film I think I got a better feel as to the kind of films they'd usually be associated with and distribute. Furthermore, my knowledge and understanding of my target audience has come a long way since task six and thirteen. This is because by creating my own opening sequence I constantly have in mind what people would want to see and what I want my target audience to feel and understand while watching it. Also, having my peers watch it and feedback on what they think, I understand further what it is that engages them and thus how to include in into my product. When first looking for fonts for my opening credits and title I was choosing ones that were quite extravagant and in-your-face, whereas now I strayed further away from that and chosen fairly simplistic and elegant fonts as I now have more of a feel for the product, and what will go with it, but also what would attract the audience. Since doing the preliminary task, my understanding of the use and effect of different camera angles has grown. When I first started I did know quite a lot of camera angles from analysing various different films and adverts, however I only knew them from that side and not by using and experimenting with them myself. By having the opportunity to play around and explore various different angles and movements I now feel I have a better grasp on when and how to use them. I have also learned how to handle the camera and tripod better so that it remains steady and the desired distance from what I'm filming. This is important in creating still frames which don't distract the audience by it shaking around. When it comes to planning I feel that is where I may have progressed the most since doing the preliminary. Despite the preliminary being very short, not a lot of planning went into it other than a storyboard which I didn't even completely stick to. However when it came to filming for my opening sequence a lot more planning when in such as a story board, shot list, fashion and props planning and risk assessment. All this caused the filming to go a lot smoother as we had a much clearer picture in mind as to what we wanted. However, despite doing all that, I have learned that even more planning could have gone into it with back up plans in place if something disrupted our original plan. My progression in editing from doing the preliminary task to finishing the final product has come a long way. Originally, all I really knew how to do was to import film and then cut and split it. Now however I am much more competent editing footage in a program such as iMovie. I have learned to do various things such as adding effects, editing the colour and quality, transitions, editing the sound, importing music and idents etc. Most of all however, I feel I have learned that no matter the amount of planning and research you do, not everything is going to go to plan and it most probably wont turn out how you wanted it. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing as you are often over-ambitious and it's inevitable for plans to change and adapt over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment