Sunday, 8 November 2015

Representation in Films

Using the presentation software 'Popplet', I analysed two coming of age film opening sequences and wrote about how their social group (teenagers) was represented, from their costume and make-up to the camera angles used and the sound. Below are my results:


 

Learning Comment:

Through doing this task I have discovered how common codes and conventions have been used to represent 'Coming of age' films' social group-Teenagers-in their opening sequences. I have found that it varies significantly, as there are many sub-genres within the films themselves; for example one might be a comedy whereas the other is more of a drama. However there are some linking factors between them. Firstly, most of the films represent teenagers in the predictable and stereotypical way as over emotional, shallow and only focused on themselves and school life. I want to try and challenge this within my own opening sequence as I believe it's getting boring and expected by the primary audience; teenagers. Another common convention is using fairly modern and popular music as this is one of the things most apparent in the opening sequence and can really set the tone for the whole thing. It often represents teenagers as being upbeat and only listening to pop or rap music. However I think the use of more indie or alternative music would be just as engaging and representative of teenagers. Furthermore, the camera angles and editing used are often fairly unusual and interesting, effective in representing teenagers as unique, and the use of techniques like panning and tracking are often used to make the social group seem interesting but also restless and on the move. The way a film chooses to represent their social group is done in a large variety of different ways and almost everything can indicate and connote something about them. I will take what I learnt from this research and keep in mind my social group when creating my own opening sequence so that it will appeal to the social group themselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment