Sunday, 13 September 2015

Famous Opening Sequences

I watched 10 different film opening sequences from all different genres and analysed them to find the common codes and conventions and what made them so effective, below are my findings:









>


Learning Comment:

In this task I have observed and learnt the various codes and conventions commonly found in film opening sequences. This includes certain fonts connoting the genre, music that fits with the feel and narrative of the overall film, institutional information being shown; particularly with the director at the end and so on so forth.
The typography is crucial in an opening sequence as it gives the audience insight into the kind of film it will be and also the specific audience it was intended for. The music is just as important as it can also reveal parts of the narrative and adds to the idea the audience is getting of the film from the rest of the opening.
Most of all, I feel that all of the effective opening sequences I saw were done in an creative and original manner that captured what the film was about but also drew me in as an audience by offering something I'd never seen before.
This was particularly prominent in one of my favourite opening sequences 'Se7en'. It told you what the film was going to be about but also straight-away put me on edge and excited to see what would happen next. Furthermore, in openings such as 'Footloose' the music was upbeat and contagious, thus making you want to join in and continue watching the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment