The History of Coming-of-age Films
On the website 'Time Toast' I recorded and briefly explained 18 different coming-of-age films, all famous within their own rights, throughout the years from 1955 to 2015:
Learning Comment:
Through this task I have gained a greater understanding of coming of age films and also a greater appreciation of them from their origins in the early 1950s to the equally great ones created now. Through researching the history of them, I can now identify the significant movies created and thus how people's opinion on coming of age films has been shaped. I have also noticed the differences between some of the older ones and the more recent. There are the general differences that are to be expected in films from varying generations such as the differences in clothing, hair styles, the way they talk etc. However, there are more subtle differences I feel in the narrative. In the slightly older films, the protagonist was generally a 'rebel', someone who misbehaved and was mis-understood. The more recent films though seem to centre around the 'under dog', the 'wall-flower' who has hidden depths and breaks out of their shell. This development in the story-line may have come from changing social norms where it's not considered as 'cool' to mess around and get in trouble with the law.
No comments:
Post a Comment